Welcome          Gallery          Blog         

Monday, 2 August 2010

Quiet Sunday...

Yet another weekend draws to a close, time seems to fly by here - I arrived 3 weeks ago and only have another 5 left but I guess thats the effect of 9-5 in the lab through the week. I'm starting to worry I won't fit anything in. Today was a quiet one; yesterday I was up before dawn (on a saturday!) to go up to a camp held by the Arthritis Foundation. Becky, Matthew and I were running a session for a couple of groups of elementary school kids, doing a little fun science but keeping it relevant to Juvenile Arthritis. It was good fun, we got the kids using microscopes, a vortex, Gilson pipettes and even a centrifuge! So this morning a lie in was in order (despite an early night) but my body is seemingly conditioned to get up early so I only made it as far as 8.30, though I was able to lounge around and read for a while afterwards. It was a cloudy day here, so I took the opportunity to go to the cinema and watch Toy Story 3 in 3D as a little pilgrimage to my childhood (I still remember my Woody and Buzz Lightyear toys, though I think they went to Sunnyside a few years back) It was a great film, and I must admit it was pretty emotional at the end (I won't spoil it) but its odd to see a piece of your youth to be so obviously put to rest (It is 10 years since Toy Story 2, I hope Pixar let it die here so it goes out on a high). This afternoon I had to pack up some stuff and come across town to my Boss' house which sits in Queen Anne with great views over Seattle Center and Downtown:
I'm house sitting while my boss is on vacation, my main job is to look after the dog Hazy:
She's a lovable Labtriever (yep thats a Labrador, Retriever cross), at nine years old she's not too energetic so only need a couple of walks each day and is content to lounge around the house while I'm at work. Upon giving her a treat this evening I witnessed exactly how easy Dr Pavlov's job was in his conditioning experiments, at the mere word "treat" Hazy was drooling her heart out was more than happy to do a 'trick' aka roll over for her reward.
Just as I finished writing this entry I noticed the wonderful view of downtown at night, so enjoy...
(oh for a DSLR to play with some exposure lengths on this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment