The other day I dropped by the Seattle branch of "the worlds local bank" HSBC. I had discovered the previous day that many American ATMs charge you to make a withdrawal if you don't bank with the owner, either my Scottish or Yorkshire blood had kicked in and I resolved to avoid this in future and a quick google had revealed the presence of a branch of my aforementioned UK bank. Anyhow I went over during my lunch break, and sure enough I could use the ATM for free, happy days indeed. While I was there I decided to cash a travellers cheque so I wander over to the cashier's desk. Now this bank looked pretty much like a UK branch of HSBC, same posters, same glass booths and roughly the same layout, except for the cashiers. This did not dawn on me till an hour or two later but it was basically an open desk; no bullet proof glass, no silly little draw, no tinny intercom. Yes I could lean over the desk chat and chat with the cashier, answering the inevitable questions about where in England I was from (and no, I'm not Australian!). Heck, I could have reached out and touched her computer! So I go through the rigmarole of ID, and debit card, and double signing the cheque and she gets out the cash. Now you'd think given the lack of the glass, draw and intercom she would have to go into the back to retrieve the cold hard cash from the safe, but no, its in the desk draw. Again, I could have reached out and grabbed.
Now I would never claim to be an expert on American history or culture but I do know they generally have a bit of a crime problem, and I've watched a few westerns, I know they know how to rob banks. So where on earth was the security? I just don't get it. I genuinely wish I could go back and take a few pictures but I think they would probably be a bit suspicious of some bloke taking photos of their security arrangements, or lack thereof.
Coming up next week: My boss is on vacation so I'm house sitting for and looking after her dog.
Finally enjoy a couple of photos. Until next time...
Saturday, 31 July 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment