Welcome          Gallery          Blog         

Sunday, 6 February 2011

Off to the Other Place

I've been meaning to write this all week, but have only just got round to it (as is often the Cambridge way). Last weekend I fled the 'bubble' temporarily to visit Oxford for a school friend's birthday celebrations. This entails a three and a half hour bus journey via such metropolitan delights as Milton Keynes, Bedford and Bicester. Having done the trip in both directions now, I can honestly say that fairly comfy leather seats, free wifi and incredibly cheap tickets (£2.70 return!) somehow don't stop the X5 being one of the most soul destroying experiences of my life. Never again please.
Oxford itself can only be described as hectic. On arriving I found my way to "Univ" college where I would be staying:
An evening of festivites quickly commenced; curry with friends, cocktails in the Birthday girl's set, and a little light clubbing - not forgetting the standard cheesy chips on the way home. Next morning we were all hungover to some degree so brunch was order of the day. In a controversial move, traditional college brunch was eschewed in favour of a trip to Giraffe. While its hard to quite define Giraffe's fare, mexican was the flavour of the brunch menu. So I tucked in to a Morning Quesadilla, the girls assaulted Huevos Rancheros Mexican style breakfasts while Matt settled for a more traditional brunch.
 Add crispy wedges, mugs of coffee, and Smoked Tabasco and we had a very satisfying repast. Lucy was especially thrilled by the Giraffe shaped mixer in her smoothie...
All in all it was a lovely trip away and nice to see some 'home' friends occasionally in term time!

No comments:

Post a Comment